Holistic dentists and traditional dentists have the same college degree and offer many of the same conventional dental services. However, the principal difference between a holistic (or biological) dentist and a traditional dentist is how they approach oral health care. Biological dentists focus on enhancing oral health to improve systemic health, while traditional dentists center their practice on diagnosing and treating the teeth and gums.
Here are four reasons to visit a holistic dentist:
1. Focuses on the Cause and Lifestyle
Similar to a visit with a general doctor, it’s ideal to partner up with a general dentist so that he can create a treatment plan tailored to individualized needs to maximize results. However, not all dentists treat equally or even take the time to get to know their patients’ health beyond their mouth:
- A holistic dentist understands that the patient’s mouth is a vital organ of the patient’s body and has a relationship with physical and emotional health. By viewing health from all angles, holistic dentists can apply precise techniques.
- A traditional dentist focuses on treating the problem only and does not address overall health.
2. Biocompatible, Non-Toxic Materials
Traditional dentistry often uses potentially dangerous materials when treating dental issues, such as metals. For example, amalgam fillings have been used for about 150 years and are still widely used today in some dental practices. Amalgam fillings contain a questionable metal: mercury. Many studies show that mercury exposure induces fluctuations in the central nervous system, potentially resulting in:
- Behavioral changes
- Hearing loss
- Cognitive decrease
Additionally, mercury exposure is linked to hypertension and changes in endothelial (tissue that lines various organs and body cavities) function. If mercury can cause all of these health problems, even at low doses, why is it still placed in patient’s mouths?
Biological dentists use non-metal filling materials, like composite resin, that are non-toxic, durable, and look natural.
3. Modern, Minimally-Invasive Techniques and Technology
Some people believe that choosing holistic medicine means sacrificing the latest and greatest treatments. However, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Holistic dentists use contemporary, proven, and gentle treatments and technologies, including:
- Metal-free dental fillings, bridges, dentures, and implants: Promotes optimal wellness and natural aesthetics.
- Laser therapy: Gentle laser light is applied to the teeth, gums, or TMJ to promote healing
- Ozone therapy: Aids in healing and reduces inflammation by creating an oxygen-rich environment
- Probiotic treatment: Supports oral health by encouraging the growth of good bacteria and eradicating pathogens
- Piezzo LED scaler: Used to deep clean teeth and gums comfortably
- Oral DNA testing: Saliva test used to identify dental-related conditions or genetic predispositions
- Identifi 3000: Detects early signs of oral cancer.
4. Promotes Best Practices
Holistic dentists promote:
- Prevention: Taking care of the teeth before problems arise.
- Conservation: Avoiding drilling and practices that save the natural tooth as much as possible.
- Healing: Regenerative medicine, such as PRF, helps the body use its natural abilities to heal itself.
How to Choose a Holistic Dentist in Rhode Island
When considering and comparing general dentists in New England, find a holistic practice that values proven treatments, whole-body wellness, and affordability.
At the BioMed Center, our experienced dental team teams up with patients to address oral health concerns while understanding the connection between the mouth and body. Call (401) 443-4007 or connect with us online to book an appointment with a holistic dentist in Providence, RI.